Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Friends, Romans, Canadians, Lent Me Your Ears

Hi there. A friend of mine posted this old softball picture on Facebook and I just had to share. It's 29, yes that is correct, 29 and older than Cathy, years old. I'm in the first row middle if you can't figure it out. Those were the days, my friend.

Well,well welcome to the blog, to the week that will mark the 2010 Olympics from that rogue country, oot and aboot, Canada. Minnesota has lots of people in this year's competition so the coverage will be lively. They are already waving Lindsey Vonn's SI photo all over the place. Puh-Lease. I'd roll my eyes but they might get stuck that way. Could someone tell these athletes, yes this also means you, Danica Patrick, to save the innuendo and scantily clad eye candy. Go Daddy, my foot! It takes away from your sport. Do you think the guys respect you more in the morning? Ok, no preaching today. One of these days I will offer up the preach blog, "Preaches and Gleen" but I'm giving up preaching for lent. Ok I'm lying. No matter how clean I try to get my jeans I always have lent in my pockets.

Now, the Superbowl is over and the super snow keeps coming, and we are hunkered down and waiting for spring, more than I can remember in winters’ past. I just watched an American Experience on PBS last night about the Donner party, snowbound in 1846. So I got that going for me, knowing we have plenty of frozen pizzas and peanut butter, so no human parts will be ingested at Sodium Manor this winter. Well, in an non-sacrificial way that is. I cannot speak to any secret ceremonies that may or may not take place in the dark recesses of the basement. You think we keep all these animals for sheer joy? Ok, enough Dan Brown secrets for now. I have said too much.


Speaking of basements, on Monday Nephew Nick cut the right stairwell wall down at a diagonal slant. It’s like cutting the cheese only bigger and much much louder. He’s not even finished and already the stairway down looks and feels so much better. It no longer feels like you are walking down a leaning elevator shaft, or mine adit (yes, I do love crossword puzzles, why do you ask?) We will finish that off in the next few days or weeks, and add a banister and railing, and it will seem like a whole new descent. The biggest problem I foresee is that for now, because that carpet is so worn and nasty, we force the dogs to trod upon it to get the mud and water off their paws. We send the dogs down those basement stairs as they come in from the garage as a quick fix. Once that carpet is replaced, oh, and it will be replaced, I will have to actually bend over and wipe their paws with a towel. Egads! That’s eight paws. (If they were cats would that make them an octopussy?) Aliens observing from above are taking notes that we as humans should respect. Who actually rules the planet when a human’s job is to follow our dogs around, pick up their poop, feed them, and then wash and dry their feet when they enter the house? Who’s the boss now? Um, yeah.

A big Happy Birthday shout out to Cathy, who celebrated last Saturday, and to my sister-in-law Christy, who will celebrating on Friday, to coincide with the Olympics. Awwwww. Nice. Happy birthday to you both. Oh and a kudos out to Amy who is blogging her grandmother's life through letters. It's pretty great. Give it a shot. www.athendrickson.blogspot.com

OH I could prattle on, and often do, but I think we are done for now. Kids made honor roll. Score! Tammy's well, score! Life is good. Trifecta score! Enjoy your week and I love you all. Fo real!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment