Sunday, November 1, 2009

Knock it off

Another Halloween has come to pass. Wow. My dad even called to see what I created for costumes this year. There was a time Halloween was my favorite holiday. It was so primal and rough. So, so early scrapbooking. Now it's as commercial as Christmas so I'm not so anxious to, "get my pumpkin on". I still appreciate my Oingo Boingo theme song, "Dead Man's Party" and like to carve pumpkins and all of that but I don't get all het up for it. Now I just watch old Roseanne halloween episodes. I think that surprised my dad. But that's life, the evolution of it. It's like my Grandma Jane still putting out green onions for me as a snack because I loved them when I was five and she thought that was so cute. I was like, Grandma! I'm 18. I kiss people now. She never did get it. Or maybe she did. Heh heh heh. She always was a sly one, my grandma.

We pause this blog for a Special Report: Here's an interesting tidbit for you all. A recent study from a controversial unaccredited school shows that telling someone to, "just calm down" when they are extremely agitated or angry only works about nine percent of the time. "Knock it off" doesn't work at all and there is no proof that "hey, settle down" works and in fact, "take a deep breath" and "sit down and relax" work even less. And if you want to get punched in the forhead try telling someone irate to, "just mellow out". Hey, I read it in The Onion so it must be true. It was right next to the article by the woman claiming that if God had intended her to love and tolerate gay people he would have given her the warmth and compassion to do so and that he works in mysterious ways. I love The Onion.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

I myself never did fall victim to the over hyped H1N1, being impervious to such infections by a steady influx of Miller Lite. However, I have been battling a cold and cough for over two weeks now. In fact we had to cancel our long planned outing with Cathy and Andrea last Friday night. I was bummed, bummed I tellya. And Saturday we had no trick-or-treaters at all. What the? We are "a little rural" but still. So we watched a movie instead. "The Painted Veil", with Ed Norton and Naomi Watts. Two thumbs up. Good heavy drama. Segue alert - bam - On Tuesday I am going for my annual physical, so I got that going for me. Yeah, now I have five days to worry she's going to find that hidden festering globule that's been slowly growing deep inside my torso since the day after my last physical. That used to be kind of funny until I realized I am now in my mid 40s and that stuff really happens. Oh well. If she does find a grapefruit or some other kind of fruit, maybe an ugli fruit or pear, I'm sure I can sell it to Ringling Bros. or on eBay.

Sunday we went to Tammy's sister's house to surprise her for her 50th birthday. She sure was surprised since she's only 39. That was awkward. We'd always been told she was the oldest. Actually, it was a super nice surprise and about 20 or so people were there and we think she was genuinely surprised. We came early and decorated while they were at church and her daughter even came to town and surprised her from North Dakota. Yeah, it was a surprise all right. She didn't know she had a daughter. I told her to "just mellow out". The doctor said the goose egg on my forehead should fade in about a week. Go figure.

I better end this now. Bears won. Vikes won. Phillies on TV now, losing the series 3-2. Come on Utley. Have a great weekend everyone. Until next time.

Love,
Diane





Back to our reg

No comments:

Post a Comment