Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Bears are Von Trapped...

In the words of Owen Meany, from the incredible book by John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany, I trust these words immensely. THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS. Such is my case in point when last night I watched the first half of, The Sound of Music, on DVD. I talk about the movie at times, I reference the movie occasionally, but when was the last time I actually sat and purposely watched the movie opening credits included? I do not recall. Like I said, I watched the first half last night while Jake and Tammy did something which now escapes me, and then he wanted to watch a comedy and Maria Von Trapp gave way to Uncle Buck with John Candy (hilarious by the way). But, since watching the first half of the movie and both halves of the Bears game that just ended in a lopsided blahdeeblah, it comes as no surprise that my head is full of new lyrics...

(To the tune of "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?")

How do you solve a problem like the Bears?
How do you catch a ball and bring it down?
How do you find the wins that mean a title?
A fumble dee bum, a will of the wrist, a bomb

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell them
Many a thing they ought to understand
But how do we make them play?
And listen to all we say?
How do we keep the wave up in the stands?

Oh, how do you solve a problem like the Bears?
How do you hold a football in your hand? (recall nun wooOOooOoooo voices here)

Ok, ok I'm done. Ugh. I lost two bets on that game, darn it. There goes two bucks and I don't mean deer up here.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am thankful for everything I have and everything I don't have. I am blessed. Now, if only someone would bless the guy at Home Depot before I go there and poke his eyeballs out ala Larry Stooge. Why? Well, Tammy and I went to Home Depot last weekend to buy paint to paint all the ceilings upstairs (ick) and then paint for the living room, hallway, and basement stair way. Tim, the Depot dude, captured us and told us of the new Behr Ultra paint that has the primer right in it for the walls, and produced the sample board to prove you will only need one coat even if painting over red. Hmm...sound too good to be true? He assured us that in the long run we will save money by not buying primer. Cut to Thursday. Kids are with their dad. We are all set up for painting. Dogs are locked outside, music on the iPod speakers is filling the house with eclectic artists, including but not limited to Kitty Wells and Bob Dylan. We are ready to paint. The ceilings came and went no problem. Tammy rolled, I trimmed. Now we begin the living room walls in what they call Summer Moon, but to me known as truck stop butter pat yellow. Long story short this paint sucks. It runs, it's thick, it's the Log Cabin syrup of paint. It ran like a sprinter. We had to do three, count 'em three, coats. We used all the paint we bought just on the living room. I don't think I've ever heard Tammy swear as much since I've known her. It was George Thoroughgood, Baaaaaaad to the bone. B-b-b-b-ba-yud. The room looks fantastic though but never again will we use that paint. Nick's coming tomorrow to patch and mud and then we will do the kitchen and hallways this weekend most likely. It never ends...

We did get the tree up as you can see in the picture. You won't know but I do, that the walls are painted nicely. Tipsy the cat only has five lives left though since she likes to walk the room as close to the wet walls as she can get, but other than that...

Satruday we went to Tammy's sister's for the family Thanksgiving. It was super delicious and part of the reason I lost no weight this week. My weigh-in is on Sundays but today it registered no change. I'll take that as a positive since I packed in the turkey and dressing and all of that stuff and no change means no add-on. I'll take it.

I'm thinking this is all I'll write for now. My Bears are done for the playoff picture. Vikes are looking good I have to say. I think we need to rename the Timberwolves the Twigpuppies for now and the Wild, the kinda rowdy but not missing curfew guys. Let's hope Tubby Smith can get some wins from his felons!

Take care everybody. Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment